Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Anyone Have the Time?

Time is a precious commodity, especially for parents. Even more especially for parents who want to train for Ironman. Finding time to write my blog has been a challenge lately, as training volumes are increasing and when the workout is done, sometimes I’m too tired to even think. Meanwhile, Hannah has more energy than ever and has been walking up a storm since 10.5 months, but she still stops to smell the roses, so to speak.

Thankfully, I’m at the start of a blessed taper for an upcoming half-ironman distance triathlon, the
Persona Oliver Half Iron on June 7. This gives me an extra day off next week and I’m already looking forward to it. Of course, I’ll be using it to pack and prepare for not only the race, but also the long drive up to the interior of the Province of British Columbia, to a town called Oliver. It’s one of the ‘wine capitals’ of Canada, so we always make time to visit a few wineries and stock up.

Being a mom-triathlete is not the most balanced lifestyle. For instance, it’s hard on friendships. It’s hard to make friends with other moms because I’m always working out in my ‘spare’ time and I feel like a bit of a freak around them. It’s also hard to build friendships with other triathletes (among whom I feel quite moderate) because I need to keep my training hours flexible, I train when others are at work, and I usually have to rush home after the workout is over. I’ve considered posting a personals ad on Craig’s List, but I’m not sure that I’m ready to commit.

Meanwhile, my mom has been trying to match me up with women she meets on the street. The latest candidate is a physiotherapist (that’s a plus) who “is really nice, new to Vancouver, and about my age.” But, I find out that she isn’t a mom and she isn’t a triathlete, so I don’t think it would work out in the long run. “When could I possibly nurture a new friendship,” I ask my mom, “when I can’t even maintain the ones I have?”

Things are so hectic that yesterday, probably for the first time in my life, I realized that I actually forgot to eat breakfast. I’ve skipped breakfast before in my life, or else not had time to eat it, but I can’t remember ever truly forgetting. I only realized it when I ran out of gas half way through a high-intensity workout and a person who was training beside me joked, “What, are you stopping for lunch?” as I pulled out my snack pack. I replied that I was starving, and then I realized why. Hannah had eaten well, but I hadn’t.

So, to all my current friends, and those I have yet to neglect, I hope you’ll understand why I haven’t had you over for dinner in a while…and Mom, one of these days I will call up one of the friends you make for me!

2 comments:

  1. Alison, I want you to know that I value our friendship and I don't need to see you or talk to you regularly to feel that way. Your blog reminded me of this quote: “Good friends are like stars.... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there”
    xoxo Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true...time has become SO precious. i guess it's a phase, once the kids are older i'm sure it gets easier! well, unless there are more kids...but eventually!

    ReplyDelete