Thursday, September 18, 2008

What’s in a Name?


This week, Hannah reached the 3-month mark. It’s a bit of a milestone because everyone told me that it takes about 3 months before a baby settles down. I have found this to be true. Hannah has started to laugh, and to cry less. When she does cry, I have a much easier time understanding why. She also sleeps in more consolidated chunks of time.


We celebrated this milestone, coincidentally, with Hannah’s naming ceremony. This is a Jewish tradition (among other cultures) called a Brit Bat and usually takes place closer to the birth, but we wanted to take advantage of the fact that several of my family members would be here in Vancouver from England.


The ceremony was beautiful. It was a gorgeous Sunday morning and about 40 family members and close friends convened at my husband’s parents’ house. At about 11:30 we gathered in the living room along with the Rabbi who married us. My husband and I made some brief speeches and I asked my sister to read a poem. Actually, I had planned to read it myself but was too overcome with emotion (which I didn’t see coming). After lighting a candle and explaining the meaning of Hannah’s names with a tribute to family members past and present, we feasted.


Some people gave gifts, which was not required, and we were totally spoiled once again. Hannah was given some beautiful items for her bedroom and some toys, and our cousins gave a gift certificate for a photography session.


Occasions like this are what make memories, and that was a special one – even if I did have to get up at 5:30 to get my bike ride in.

No comments:

Post a Comment