Thursday, February 5, 2009

Training Plan

Training has officially begun! For IM Canada, which is at the end of August, January is a kind of natural start to the training build up. Although I started back in September, it has taken since then to get back to where I would have been if I hadn’t had a baby. I’ve had a few questions about my training plan so I’ve dedicated this blog entry to outlining it.

My training plan is periodized over 4 weeks, so it builds during weeks 1-3 and then there is a recovery week. I also try to have one full day off a week. The workouts are as follows:

  • Run: 3 x per week
  • Bike: 2 x per week
  • Swim: 3 x per week (usually turns into 2)
  • Strength/Core: 2 x per week
A typical training week looks like this:
  • Sunday – long run, for January it ranges from 2.25-2.5 hours in weeks 1-3, and 1.25 hours in the recovery week.
  • Monday – OFF (yay!)
  • Tuesday – Afternoon Zone 3 (intense) run, on a treadmill at 2% incline.
    Evening: Swim (focus on technique, not fitness)
  • Wednesday – Strength, flexibility and core work (an hour if I focus)
  • Thursday – Morning swim (back by 7am) Afternoon – Long bike, for January it ranges from 2.5 to 4 hours in weeks 1-3 and 2 hours in the recovery week.
  • Friday – Strength, flexibility and core work. Easy run (30-50 minutes)
  • Saturday – Morning swim (back by 8am, take Hannah for her splash-around at 9am).
    Afternoon: High intensity bike ride.

Cycling is done on a Compu Trainer right now, but when the weather gets better I look forward to going outdoors. The Peak Centre has teamed up with a riding club called Ride with Rendall and we compete on the Compu Trainers in a kind of virtual race. It’s a great way to use technology to make stationary cycling more compelling.

The strength work I can do in an hour if I’m really focused, which I rarely am and so it sometimes drags out all day. I use the planter in our courtyard for my “bench”. Neighbours probably think I’m a fanatic. OK, so maybe I am.

Running is done solo. I haven’t found a training partner who is flexible enough to meet my schedule, or even one that isn’t working during the day. I keep chatting up girls at the Peak Centre where I train, and hopefully I’ll meet someone soon (now I know how guys feel!).

On a side note, I got hit with a bad sinus cold last Sunday, so I’ve missed a long run and a high-intensity run. I’m going to have to do some research into how to keep my immune system functioning at a high level so that I don’t get taken out by every bug that goes around. Thankfully, Hannah has stayed healthy and high-energy as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment